Bunscoil Bhríde Fortnightly Bulletin
13th June 2019
Dear Parents / Guardians,
Our news for this fortnight is as follows:
- Retirement of Ms. Fogarty: It is with personal regret, but warm wishes that I announce the retirement of Ms. Freda Fogarty, which will take place in the summer. Ms. Fogarty has taught in Bunscoil Bhríde since 2000, is a valued and well-loved member of our staff, an amazing and inspiring teacher and a hard-working member of our in-school management team. I would like to thank her for her hard work and dedication to the development of the intellectual, social, moral and spiritual education of the children of Rathangan and for her wonderful leadership and involvement with numerous school initiatives, the most recent of which saw us achieve the coveted Active School status. I also want to sincerely thank her for the kindness, support and encouragement she has always shown to each and every one of her colleagues. She has acted as a mentor to all of us and her generosity of spirit, warmth and kindness has contributed in no small part to the warm, caring, happy ethos we are so proud of here at Bunscoil Bhríde. She will be greatly missed by teachers and pupils alike and I know I speak for the entire staff when I say that she will be a massive loss to our school on both a personal and professional level. I would like to extend her every good wish for a long, enjoyable and fulfilling retirement. I invite you to join me in showing Ms. Fogarty our appreciation at a retirement Mass that will be held in Rathangan Church on Thursday 27th June at 10am. We invite all members of the community of Rathangan to attend.
- Day of Celebration: As you will be aware, we are the proud recipients of an NINTH green flag, which focused on Global Citizenship and the Marine Environment. As we have also been awarded the Discover Primary Science Award for the fourth successive year, I think a day of celebration for the children is definitely in order! We will celebrate our wonderful achievements on Friday 21st June in the school. This will be a non-uniform day and we invite children to engage in a marine / nautical theme dress-up (e.g. mermaid, pirate, sea-creature, sailor etc.). Ms. Kelly, Ms. Beary and all the members of the Green Schools Committee would like to extend an invitation to you all to attend the formal raising of our ninth Green Flag in the school yard (staff carpark) on Friday 21st June at 11.30a.m. In acknowledgment of Ms. Fogarty’s vast contribution to and support of the work of our Green Schools Committee over the years, she will raise our newest Green Flag. Following the formal raising of the flag the children will enjoy a whole-school picnic on the grass area to the rear of the school. We look forward to a thoroughly enjoyable day and hope that you can join us as we proudly raise our flag.
- Sixth Class Graduation: Graduation Mass for our Sixth Class girls will take place at 10am on Tuesday 25th June in Rathangan Church. All parents and family members are welcome to attend. All classes will attend this Mass, which also marks the end of a busy school year. Our Sixth Class will participate in the ceremony and our school choir led by Ms. De Faoite and Ms. Rowley will provide the music and singing. Following the mass we will host a celebration for our sixth class pupils and their families, at which we will present the girls with their graduation certificates and T-shirts. They have been an amazing group of pupils, who have been excellent ambassadors for our school, who have been motivated and eager to give of their best and who, most importantly, have emanated our school ethos and have displayed kindness to the younger members of our school community. We are very proud to have had the pleasure of teaching this group of girls over the past eight years and we wish them the very best of luck as they transition to secondary school. I would like to thank the parents from our current fifth class who have volunteered to bake for the event and to serve tea/coffee.
- Art workshops: Linda Grogan will very kindly host art and craft workshops for all classes here in the school in our Art Room next Tuesday. We look forward to viewing the fabulous creations and thank Linda for her generosity in sharing her expertise with us.
- Fire Safety in third class: On Monday Ms. Feeney’s and Ms. Ryan’s third classes will take part in a fire safety course in the school. A fire officer from the Kildare Fire and Rescue Service will teach the girls all about fire safety in the home, they will complete a home safety check list and create their own escape plan in case of an emergency.
- Bake Sale: Our Sixth Class pupils held a very successful fundraising Bake Sale in the school last Friday, at which they raised €418.45. The proceeds of the Sale will go towards the purchase of special graduation T-shirts for the class, which will bear the school name and signatures of all members of the class. The girls have decided to donate the excess to the Make-a-Wish foundation. Well done girls! We would like to thank you all for your support.
- 6th Class Heritage Trip: Ms. O’Halloran’s sixth class are visiting the rath and the old graveyard today with their teacher and Ms. Kelly as part of their local history / heritage studies. They are examining all the Georgian buildings and learning about the history of our village. We hope they are having a thoroughly enjoyable day and that they will gain a deeper appreciation of the wonderful village in which we live.
- School Tours: We are right in the middle of school tour season, with Third Class visiting Dublin Zoo today, Fourth and Fifth Classes visiting Birr Castle on Monday, Senior Infants visiting Lullymore Heritage Park next Tuesday and second class travelling to Kildare Maze on Wednesday. We hope they all have a thoroughly enjoyable and memorable day. Photographs from all of the school tours can be viewed on our website www.bunscoilbhride.ie
- Teddy Bears’ Picnic: Our annual Junior Infants’ Teddy Bears’ Picnic will take place in the school next Tuesday. It will be a day filled with songs, dance and lots of games. We will ask all Junior Infant girls to spruce up their favourite teddy in readiness for attending the picnic and to bring it in on the day to join in the fun. No Teddy Bears’ picnic would be complete without the right food. Don't forget that bears love honey and other things sweet!
- Code of Behaviour: Our Code of Behaviour was recently reviewed. Our new, updated Code is available to view on our website www.bunscoilbhride.ie.
- End-of-Year Assembly: On Wednesday 26th June we will hold a whole-school assembly in our school hall, at which we will reflect on and celebrate a very successful school year. We will present attendance certificates to our outstanding attenders and will acknowledge and praise all the hard work that has been going on throughout the school all year.
- After-School Activities: This year saw a number of different after-school activities take place for the children in the school. I would like to take this opportunity to sincerely thank all of the teachers who were involved in the after-school programme of activities. These teachers voluntarily gave up their free time to organise and run the activities and we are very fortunate to have such a dedicated staff, who are willing to take on this task with such great enthusiasm.
- Non-uniform Days: To facilitate the Uniform Swap Day being organised by the Parents’ Association on the day of the holidays (see Parents’ Association news below), Thursday 27th and Friday 28th will be non-uniform days. This will give parents the opportunity to get the uniforms ready for the Swap Day.
- Book Rental Scheme Book Collection: All book rental books will be collected from children on Wednesday 26th June. Please ensure your child’s book rental books are in good condition and ready for inspection on that day. There should be no marks on these books as they are the property of the school. Charges will be imposed in the case of damage to books / missing books.
- Library Books: All books should be returned to our school library by Friday 21st. Charges will be imposed in the case of damaged / missing books.
- End-of-Year Reports: End-of-year reports will be received by all parents tomorrow / early next week.
- Annual Report from the Board of Management: Today you are also receiving the annual report from the Board of Management. The Board has had a busy year and worked very productively. I would like to sincerely thank all members of the Board who work quietly behind the scenes in a voluntary capacity for the school. Their generosity of time and dedication to the school cannot be overstated and we all owe them a debt of gratitude.
- Thank you: As this is our final Fortnightly Bulletin of the year, I would like to take the opportunity to thank all the teachers and staff of Bunscoil Bhríde for all their dedication and hard-work throughout what has been another busy and exciting year for the school. We are really blessed to have such a fantastic staff. I would also like to thank our Parents’ Association who have shown such generosity of time and energy and are a true credit to the school. Finally I would like to thank all the pupils and parents of our school, who have made my job as Principal a pleasure and who make Bunscoil Bhríde the wonderful school that it is.
- Next year: We will re-open on Thursday 29th August at 9am. New Junior Infant children will come to school on the first morning at 9.20am and from the second day onwards they will begin at 9am with the other children. The new Junior Infants will go home at 12pm for the first two weeks (up to and including Wednesday 11th September) to ease the transition, and after this (from Thursday 12th September) they will go home at 1.40pm.
- Summer Holidays: The school will close at 12pm on Friday 28th June. I would like to wish you all a very enjoyable and restful summer holiday and I look forward to meeting and working with you all in September.
Message from the Active School Committee
The work of this Active School Committee is nearly over. We have enjoyed a busy year. We were very proud of how successful Bunscoil Bhride’s first 5k/10k Fun Run was in March. A huge number of local families took part, making it a lovely social occasion. Every student in our school trained hard to build up stamina to walk or run a distance. We all got a little fitter as we prepared for it. Over €4,000 was raised and a lot of lovely new sports equipment has been purchased for the school. Our football team got new jerseys and our basketball team got a lovely new strip. We are very proud of our very active school. We urge everyone to stay active and keep walking, running and skipping over the summer holidays.
Message from the Parents’ Association
Uniform Swap Day: There will be a 'Uniform Swap Day' on Friday 28th June at 9.30am. Please drop clean, unwanted cardigans, jumpers and tracksuits to the hall between 9am and 10am. Parents/guardians can place a nominal donation in box provided on the day if they wish. We would urge all parents, including parents of the incoming Junior Infants to attend. SKIRTS, TROUSERS, SHIRTS OR POLO SHIRTS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
The members of the Parents’ Association would like to sincerely thank you all for your donations of baked goods throughout the year. They were all beautiful and enhanced the occasions they were donated for. We hope you have a wonderful summer.