Dear Parents / Guardians,
We hope all is well with you this fortnight. Our news is as follows:
- National Tree Day: National Tree Day is being celebrated around the school today with all classes learning about and looking at trees. Living in Rathangan, we have the most fabulous woodland resource on our doorstep. We would suggest that you take the time over the coming days to explore the beautiful Killinthomas Woods with your child(ren). It provides a wonderful opportunity to explore with your child the different varieties of trees growing in our locality. See www.treeday.ie for more information on tree day.
- Swimming: All Fourth and Fifth Class pupils will begin their ten-week block of swimming lessons in Portarlington Swimming Pool today. We wish them the very best of luck and look forward to hearing of their progress. I would like to thank the parents who have volunteered to accompany them to the pool each week. We really appreciate your generosity.
- Ready, Set, Go Maths Volunteers Wanted: We are still short on volunteers for the implementation of the Ready Set Go Maths Programme in the two Junior Infant classrooms. We are looking for parents who would be available to come into the school on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday mornings (or even one of these mornings) for a twenty-five minute slot, from 10.00am to 10.25am to play Maths games with the Junior Infant pupils in their classrooms. We would be extremely grateful if you were available and willing to help us out. I would like to sincerely thank the parents who have already put their names forward. Your time, effort and commitment to the school is hugely appreciated and will make the programme much more effective for the children in Junior Infants.
- National Fitness Day: Last Friday we all took part in National Fitness Day. All children engaged in fun, physical activities throughout the day. Classes competed against each other in team games. Photographs of the events will shortly be available to view on our school website www.bunscoilbhride.ie
- Oral Language: The theme for the month of October is ‘Listening’. Communication and learning skills grow out of effective listening. Hearing and listening are not the same - listening is an active process of focusing on sound; hearing is passive reception of sound. Listening means focusing on some sounds and "tuning out" others. All classes will be focusing on this theme for the month and we would ask that you support us at home, by encouraging and modelling good listening, asking your child to follow oral instructions, playing auditory listening games and questioning your child often.
- Coats: Please ensure your child comes to school wearing a coat.
- School Attendance Strategy: Our whole school attendance for the month of September was 93.6% which is good – well done! I am eager to maintain this high level of attendance at Bunscoil Bhríde and would urge you all to support me in this regard. As you will be aware, we are required by Túsla to report in the event of a child being absent for 20 days or more. We are also required to maintain explanatory notes for all absences, including late arrivals and early departures from school. Please ensure you provide your daughter with a note in such circumstances.
- Parents’ Association: A meeting of the Parents’ Association will take place in the school on Tuesday next, 9th October at 7.30pm. All parents are welcome to attend and we look forward to welcoming some new faces.
- Christmas Shoe-Box Appeal: The children received a leaflet today from ‘Team Hope’ detailing the Christmas Shoe-box Appeal. If you wish you can put together a shoe-box which will benefit needy children around the world. Shoe-boxes may be brought in to school on Friday 9th November only. They will be collected from the school on this day.
- Football: Well done to our U11 football team who played very well in the Cumann na mBunscoil Blitz last Thursday in Newbridge. The girls showed great skill and scored some fantastic goals and points but were unlucky on the day and will not proceed to the semi-finals.
- Basketball Training: Basketball training for 5th and 6th class will start back on Wednesday October 10th from 2.40 – 3.30 with Ms. Ryan, Ms.O’ Halloran and Ms. Dillon. Please ensure you have a permission slip and correct footwear.
- Clothes Collection: There will be a clothes collection on Friday 5th October. Please drop any bags of clothing into the school before 10.00am.
- First Holy Communion: The First Holy Communion preparatory programme ‘Do This in Memory’ begins on Saturday 6th October at the 6.30 at Vigil mass.
- Friday 5th October: P.A. Clothing Collection (see above)
- Friday 6th October: Beginning of 10-week block of swimming for Fourth and Fifth Class
- Maths Week: 13th October – 21st October
- Friendship Week at Bunscoil Bhríde: 5th – 9th November
- Halloween Spooky Walk: Friday 26th October
- Mid-term Break: School will be closed from Monday 29th October to Friday 2rd November inclusive)
- 9th November: Date for collection of Christmas Shoe-boxes (see above)
- Science Week: 11th – 18th November
- PT Meetings: Parent-Teacher Meetings will take place this year on Thursday 22nd November and on other afternoons during that week. If you have any concerns regarding your child, please phone the office to arrange a meeting time with your child’s teacher prior to this date.
Rós O’ Sullivan